Information Management: The Electronic Recordkeeping System
The purpose of the Electronic Recordkeeping System (ERKS) Requirements document is to position the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to manage and exploit its business assets (i.e., information) through the creation, capture, organization, maintenance, use, protection, and disposition of its electronic records in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. The document identifies the functional information management requirements for new and legacy automated information systems (AIS) that maintain official Agency record material. These requirements support a uniform approach to:
- The organization of information for retrieval.
- An enterprise-wide use of corporate data.
- The maintenance of record material electronically.
- The protection of information integrity.
- The regular and lawful disposal of information that is no longer needed.