Many of these records concerning Vietnam-era prisoners-of-war and missing-in-action were located, reviewed and released as a result of requests from next-of-kin and other interested parties concerning specific individuals in this category. Most of the records, however, were located and released as a result of Executive Order 12812, dated July 1992, which required all executive branch agencies of the government to review, declassify and release relevant documents pertaining to American POWs and MIAs missing in Southeast Asia. In accordance with this order, CIA conducted a thorough and exhaustive search of its operational files, finished intelligence reports, memoranda, background studies and open source files. CIA's compliance with the executive order was completed on 9 November 1993. This collection also contains a limited number of documents created after that date, most notably a National Intelligence Estimate entitled "Vietnamese Intentions Capabilities, and Performance Concerning the POW/MIA Issue (April 1998)" and the Joint Report of the Inspectors General of the Department of Defense and Central Intelligence Agency entitled "A Review of the 1998 National Intelligence Estimate on POW/MIA Issues and the Charges Levied by 'A Critical Assessment' of the Estimate (29 February 2000)." Certain material was withheld from the records released based on the continuing need to protect sources and methods, negotiations on foreign policy issues such as the normalization of relations, or privacy issues related to returnees and the families of POWs and MIAs.
More like this
- VII-028a “Regarding the Intelligence Community Staff/Product Review Division’s ‘Review of OSR Intelligence Report, Evolution of Soviet Concepts and Forces for Nuclear War in Europe,” Memorandum for the DCI, 31 March 1975.
- GEOGRAPHIC INTELLIGENCE REVIEW CIA/RR MR INDEX SECRET ISSUES OF MAP RESEARCH BULLETIN AND MAP INTELLIGENCE REVIEW, MAY 1951-SEPTEMBER 1953
- REVIEW OF GEOGRAPHIC INTELLIGENCE REVIEW (CIA/RR-MR-54, FEB.58) ARTICLE, 'A SURVEY OF DEVELOPMENTS IN ASIATIC USSR'
- GENERAL ACCOUNTING OFFICE DRAFT OF REVIEW OF SELECTED ACTIVITIES OF THE OFFICE OF CENTRAL REFERENCE AND THE OFFICE OF BASIC INTELLIGENCE, INTELLIGENCE COMPONENT, CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY
- LARRY BERMAN, PLAINTIFF, V. CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY, DEFENDANT. DECLARATION OF TERRY N. BUROKER DIRECTTORATE OF INTELLIGENCE INFORMATION REVIEW OFFICER CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY
Documents in this Collection
Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®
VOLKOGONOV ON PROGRESS IN TRACING U.S. MIA'S
YOK CITES RESISTANCE FORCES PLEDGE TO FIND MIA'S