President Carter and the Role of Intelligence in the Camp David Accords
This collection consists of more than 250 previously classified documents, totaling over 1,400 pages, including some 150 that are being released for the first time. These documents cover the period from January 1977 through March 1979 and were produced by the CIA to support the Carter administration’s diplomatic efforts leading up to President Carter’s negotiations with Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin at Camp David in September 1978. The declassified documents detail diplomatic developments from the Arab peace offensive and President Sadat’s trip to Jerusalem through the regionwide aftermath of Camp David. Newly released items include:
- Two National Intelligence Estimates on Egypt and the Middle East Military Balance.
- Selections from CIA’s briefing book on Camp David created for President Carter.
- Leadership profiles from the Directorate of Intelligence on the key personalities of the Camp David summit.
- Intelligence on informal and formal inter-Arab negotiations and divisions between Israeli political parties with regard to the peace initiative and summit.
- The role of Jordan in the peace process
- Over four hundred pages of Foreign Broadcast Information Service reporting, capturing the press coverage of the negotiations, summit, and global reaction.
The documents convey a sense of the personalities, perils, and ambiguities that pervaded the lead-up to the Camp David Accords, which despite the many obstacles has had an enduring influence in the precarious peace between Israel and its largest Arab neighbor.
Visit the Microsite (Requires Flash)
More like this
- 1978-09-26a- Briefing Papers for Camp David, Memorandum for the Deputy Director for National Foreign Assessment from the Deputy Director of Central Intelligence
- 1979-06-01b- Personality Profiles in Support of the Camp David Summit (Center for the Studies of Intelligence article)
- Richard Helms: The Intelligence Professional Personified, by David S. Robarge
- 1978-08-16b- Saudi Arabia: Camp David Meeting
- 1978-09-01a- National Security Council Meeting: Middle East- Camp David Summit
Documents in this Collection
Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®
1978-09-26a - Briefing Papers for Camp David, Memorandum for the Deputy Director for National Foreign Assessment from the Deputy Director of Central Intelligence
1978-09-26b - Analysis of Arab-Israeli Developments No. 571
1978-09-26c Egyptian Military Discontent
1978-09-27 - Israel: Knesset Debate on Accords
1978-09-29a - Israel; Arab States
1978-09-29b - Palestinians: Terrorism
1978-09-30a - Analysis of Arab-Israeli Developments No. 575
1978-09-30b - Israel: Politics After Vote
1978-10-02 - Human Rights in the Middle East
1978-10-03 - Palestinians: Position on Lebanon; Egypt: Sadat's New Prime Minister